Sections

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Dogfish Head Punkin Ale

This is the first of the fall time brews to be reviewed this season. You know when there's a Dogfish Head product, it's bound to be special. Punkin Ale is really no different. The head built up into a fluffy light brown pillow right to the rim of the glass, which was entertaining. The scent is great with the nutmeg punching through at the top. This brown ale is spicy, with hints of nutmeg and cinnamon, two key ingredients in fall brews. There is a lack of pumpkin though, which was a bit disappointing. What wasn't disappointing though, was it's - macro defined - drinkability. A somewhat light to medium texture, so I could see a few of these being had in one sitting, which is a pleasant surprise.

What I really enjoy about the fall brews is that the color usually tastes the way it looks. What I mean is: with the brown coloring, I'd hope to get spiciness, brown sugar, biscuits; and that's what I'm getting. The contrast to that is, during the non-fall months, you may end up with an IPA or a more malty brown ale. I'd suggest buying this beer if you see it in the store. Like I said earlier, any Dogfish beer is bound to be special, and this beer is no different. So go be Off-Centered, like Dogfish wants you to be! 

No comments:

Post a Comment