Sections

Friday, November 11, 2011

Cigar City Good Gourd

Oh baby, we're on a roll this week at gulp! If my research is correct, this is the busiest beer review week in gulps! short history. It's actually quite sad if you think about it. I've been running the blog for about 11 months, and this is the first week where we've reviewed almost the same number of beers as there are days in a week. I wish there was a prize for this. Oh wait, I run the blog, so I get to drink the great beer. Game, set, match.

So, earlier today I reviewed a great Terrapin beer: Pumpkinfest. Well, this evening I'm coming at you with a really special beer from a really great FLORIDA brewery. Good Gourd from Cigar City Brewing based in Tampa, Fl. Cigar City Brewing has been around about 3 years and have totally revolutionized the beer scene not only in the cigar city of Tampa, but the entire state of Florida. So much so that they were the only Florida brewery to win a gold medal at this year's Great American Beer Festival.

If you're a Florida citizen, I imagine that you know Tampa is known as "cigar city" due to their rich cigar history. Cigar City Brewing has grasped that by the horns, and presents it with almost all of their products. Take one look at their logo, and it's quite obvious how much they enjoy the rich history of Tampa. Many of their beers have built into their labels, or names, hints of the history of the area.

I myself have only had 1 Cigar City beer: Jai Alai IPA. I had it at their tasting room in Tampa over the summer (I think I've had it once before that, but don't remember). It was a really good IPA. Cigar City has many other standard offerings though: Maduro Brown Ale, White Oak-aged Jai Alai IPA, Cubano-style Espresso Brown Ale (which is in my fridge), and Jose Marti American Porter. They also have special 750mL regulars: Bolita Double Nut Brown Ale, Guava Grove Farmhouse Ale, and Improve Oatmeal Rye India-style Brown Ale. Just look at that list. I'm sure you notice how unique these guys are, along with today's earlier brewery, Terrapin. Cigar City also takes pride in using local ingredients as frequent as possible, which is something they should be applauded for.

Tonight, I am very excited to try the Good Gourd 750mL seasonal from Cigar City. I've read that it is pretty comparable to Pumpking by Southern Tier; some say it's even better than said pump-king. I'll of course be my own judge of that. On their website, Cigar City writes a playful intro to the description of the beer by saying "Legend has it that when a pumpkin comes into the world it is possessed by either a good or an evil spirit". Well, they think that at Cigar City, they got all the good. We are told to prepare for real pumpkin flavors, spices, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. All the great ingredients to a really good pumpkin beer. I should note that this is an Imperial Pumpkin Ale. The Gourd is sittin pretty at 8.5% ABV... and being 750mL, I suggest bringing a friend along for the ride. However, in my case, my wife isn't here tonight, and my dogs still don't like beer, and I'm not a huge fan of keeping an open bottle in the fridge, so, we'll just see where this goes (wink, wink).

Upon popping the cap, the bottle let out a little fizz noise. I've had this in my fridge for about a month or so... I'm hoping that doesn't ruin anything. I let the bottle sit for a few minutes as well so it wasn't as cold when I poured the beer. It was a bit difficult to get any scents from the bottle, but upon pouring into my St. Bernardus snifter glass, I was catching the cloves, spices, and a little bit of nutmeg. No shockers with the golden copper coloring. At this point, there should be a special name for this color. Let's go with copper pumpkin shall we? This is the last pumpkin beer of the season that I'll be reviewing, so I figure we better make it interesting.

The Gourd has a medium body feel, and is not overly complex on the way down. It's very smooth, and you can certainly catch all of the different flavors and spices at different points of the drinking. I do wish I knew what the Jamaican allspice smelled like pre-brewing because based on my research of this beer, it is pretty apparent throughout. It isn't as heavy on the nutmeg as Pumpking is; but I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. Without a doubt, it knocks the doors off of any standard pumpkin ale. Compared to Pumpking though, I'd say they're neck and neck.

Now that the beer has had some time to warm up, the carmely texture is really shining, as well as the different spices. It's almost become a different drink than when completely cold, and it's fantastic. I'd say it's complex, and a bit edgy on the way down. Without a doubt, it helps the case. I'd say the only thing missing is some whipped cream to go on top to finish the pumpkin!

Well folks, that about wraps up this seasons pumpkin beers. Pumking and Good Gourd are without a doubt the two most amazing pumpkin beers out on the market. With Good Gourd being our feature tonight, I strongly recommend you find some before the season is over. Gulp it down with family and/or friends, but savor every sip because it won't be back until next year. Thank you Cigar City for making an incredible product. I'm looking forward to having the Espresso Brown Ale very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment