Sections

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Fort Collins Brewery - Retro Red

Well, after about an hour to get the awful Big Flats taste out of my mouth, it's time to get to the second review of the night. I've been looking forward to this review because it is for a beer out of Colorado, and when I think Colorado, I think Fat Tire. Unfortunately, being in Florida, it's a bit of a pain to get Fat Tire as they don't sell it in my lovely state. Fear not my friends, I will keep my composure and move on, to Fort Collins Retro Red. If you read my about me profile thingy, you'll notice that I was a "beer hater" for many years. Over the last year though, I've broadened my horizons and starting trying other beers. Of all of the different types I've tried, IPA's, Double IPA's, Ambers, Porters, etc., I think that red ambers have become my favorite style. So moving into this review of Retro Red, I will try to avoid being bias... unlike Fox News when they talk about Sarah Parlin (ha! political joke! moving on...)

Upon pouring this Fort Collins into my standard Blue Point glass, I was greeted by a much darker brew than what I was expecting. It's a very dark red, almost brown. The head quickly fizzed away, which was a little disappointing, but hey, what's the point of the head anyway. The smell is a fantastic mixture of sweetness, malt, a little bit of cinnamon, and roastiness. It has a fantastic texture, carmel and malty, a little hoppy aftertaste. I'd say that it's very drinkable, and having more than one isn't such a bad idea thanks to just 5.2% ABV.

As a sidebar, it appears that Retro Red will no longer be known as such sometime in 2011. According to the Fort Collins website, Retro Red will be transformed into Red Banshee! Yikes, sounds scary. Never fear Super Beer Drinkers, apparently the Red Banshee is a super hot red head siren. If you're a Retro Red fan, it appears that the recipe and general flavors will stay the same, so don't worry about the babe screwin' up your favorites.

To wrap this sucker up, scale of 1 to 10, I'll give the Retro a modern day 7. I liked it, I could have a second, and it's a pretty red amber. Grab a retro people, before the hot red headed Banshee kills our super heros! Ahh!


No comments:

Post a Comment