Sections

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Terrapin Moo Hoo Chocolate Milk Stout

Hey, hey, it's Wednesday. Tonight's review is from the Terrapin Beer Company out of Athens, Georgia. This is probably the 3rd or 4th beer I've reviewed from Terrapin, and I have yet to have a bad Terrapin beer, so I'm looking forward to it. I should say though, that over the last couple of months, Terrapin made waves in the craft beer world. You can read all of the details here: http://onlineathens.com/local-news/2011-10-17/terrapin-brewery-selling-minority-interest-miller-coors-craft-beer-division. Basically, they sold a minority stake of the company (less than 25%) to Tenth & Blake. T&B is the "craft beer" arm of MillerCoors *cue the boos*. Try not to overreact though, the Terrapin folks have said that just because one of the big boys has invested doesn't meant that they will stop doin' what they do. We should all be happy for Terrapin though because this will get them more capital to expand their company and do more exciting things, which will benefit all of us. We'll save the T&B/MillerCoors bashing for another thread, let's get to this Moo Hoo!

I told you, dark black!
Moo Hoo is one of Terrapin's new seasonal brews. There are two other seasonals: Pumpkin Fest, which I've had and was great, and Hop Karma Brown IPA, which I'd love to try. Anyway, the Moo Hoo uses a mix of hops, malts, chocolate, cocoa nibs, cocoa shells and lacoste. Interestingly, the cocoa nibs and shells come from a company in Nashville, Tennessee known as the Olive & Sinclair Chocolate Company. Sounds good right? Even their website looks delicious (http://www.oliveandsinclair.com/)!

The cow pours an extremely dark black (as opposed to light black), with a fairly thick cocoa head. The scent is a surprising combination of hops, cocoa, and vanilla. After I let the beer warm up a bit, the flavors and sweetness really start to shine. Cocoa, vanilla, and standard roasted malts come through very well. It's also quite thin, which upon first glance, wouldn't seem possible. That said, it's a very drinkable stout. I think if it were a bit thicker, it would emulate a good glass of chocolate milk, but I also think that would make it tougher to drink. So, I won't complain!

This is another really solid offering from Terrapin. I'm hoping to visit their brewery/tasting room in Athens this year, so hopefully I'll be able to pull off a full blown Terrapin Brewery review! That'd be a first. So, to close, Moo Hoo is 6% ABV, which is about normal. I'd say that this would be a great stout for those of you who aren't totally comfortable with darker beers, like stouts and porters. It's not overpowering, and it's thin. So get to gettin people, and "Enjoy It... 'Til The Cows Come Home".

No comments:

Post a Comment