Sections

Friday, January 20, 2012

Great Divide Brewing Company - Samurai Rice Ale

Tonight I'm drinking Samurai Rice Ale from Great Divide Brewing Company based out of Denver, Colorado. Up until now, I've only reviewed one Great Divide product: Colette, early in 2011. I have, of course, had Great Divide brews that I haven't reviewed: Denver Pale Ale, Oak Aged Yeti, Hades, and Claymore Scotch Ale. Boy, after that list I feel like I owe you all an apology for not providing reviews! Well, I'll make it up to you. Not tonight though, let's stay with the Samurai.

The Samurai is a unique beer as not only is it brewed with rice, but it is also unfiltered. What that means is that during the brewing process, the yeast is left in suspension to add more flavor to the beer. The converse of this, a filtered beer, is one which has been filtered free of yeast. Many wheat beers are unfiltered, which is part of the reason you catch a lot of the fruitiness. One of the things Great Divide sells on this beer is that the rice adds crispy fruitiness. Well, I'm still try to figure that part out because I've never had fruit rice. Perhaps someone can fill me in on that one...

Clicky-Clicky

The Samurai pours a very thin, hazy straw yellow color. The head is decent, but fizzes relatively quickly. The floral scent is extremely light, as is the drink itself. The flavors are also very light, some light floral type flavors, but not much else. It drinks very light, almost a mix of a hefeweizen and a light lager.

This is an award winning beer, taking Best of the Rockies, U.S. Beer Tasting Championship, Summer 2007 and Tap Room Pick Summer 2008. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a bad beer, but it is light and very easy drinking. There is also a decent amount of carbonation. 5.1% ABV, NOT gluten free. Good for the summer, and a good replacement to the macro beers in the fridge. Also has a wicked pissah label.

No comments:

Post a Comment